Director of Software Engineering
Portsmouth, New Hampshire | Direct Hire
Director of Software Engineering
Location: Portsmouth, NH ( Boston, Area) – Hybrid
Salary: $150-160,000K + Benefits
Interview: Video / F2F
Client, a leading brand in private and business aviation, is looking for an energetic doer-leader for the position of Director of Software Engineering. The ideal candidate will lead a multi-disciplinary team to develop, implement and support cloud and mobile applications with a focus on creating a “digitally connected experience”. The Director of Software Engineering will provide hands-on leadership, strategic planning, architectural direction, staff development and execution management for custom software development projects and integrations with COTS software.
This role will be ultimately responsible for building software solutions, incorporating modern and evolving technologies, architectures and services that will support the needs of a leading private aviation provider. The role requires close coordination with technology peers within the CIO organization, managers and executives in other departments and divisions across the company, strategic IT service providers and OEM partners.
This role will report to the Chief Information Office
What you will do:
- Own software architecture, design, development, documentation and implementation of company software platforms, mobile solutions, and integration with commercial enterprise business systems.
- Responsible for the development of technology and people resources necessary for successful completion of projects including migration of on-prem software to cloud, modernization of programming languages, and improving deployment techniques.
- Own the building of progressive, high performing, high quality, responsive, resilient, service oriented, strategic, and transformative software solutions and integrations.
- Direct analysis and shaping of business requirements to determine most optimal technical design by driving technical design discussions.
- Coordinate and collaborate with Director of Information Technology in the design and deployment of software solutions and integrations on various cloud infrastructure, mobile platforms, network, storage, systems, and software components.
- Drive the overall technical implementation and identify opportunities for current and future product releases.
- Develop and implement Change Management, DevOps, and SRE practices and procedures for successful code deployment and rollback.
- Ensure all activities of the team are managed by company technical methodology and processes. Where processes or methodologies do not exist, this role is responsible for defining, creating, and managing them.
- Lead the team as an effective people manager by providing mentorship, guidance, and feedback to the team so that they leverage their strengths and improve on areas of opportunities.
- Be able to perform hands-on work including but not limited to writing software code.
- Other duties as assigned.
The kind of person we are looking for:
- Cloud and mobile native hands-on experienced doer-leader who can bring smart new ideas and leadership talent to the team.
- Excited about and thrives in a fast-paced environment that delivers rapid business value.
- Innate problem solver with desire to grow in a collaborative culture.
- Takes initiative, pushes boundaries, is motivated to innovate.
- Talented individual with a growth mindset who want to use their learning and relationship-building skills.
- Epitomizes Integrity, Accountability, Collaboration, Service and Quality mind-set.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering or equivalent experience. Master’s degree preferred.
- 5+ years’ experience managing software development teams, including dispersed, remote teams including nearshore, offshore, and other 3rd party partners.
- 5+ years’ knowledge and demonstrable hands-on experience with full stack software development on Microsoft Azure and/or Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.
- 5+ years’ practical and hands-on demonstrable experience in cross platform mobile (iOS, Android) app development using platforms like React, Xamarin, Flutter, etc.
- Leading Web/Mobile Software development projects in Java, .Net Core, Node.js, PHP, and full stack development. Expertise in REST API based development.
- 5+ years’ DevOps experience.
- Strong understanding of technology and practical application of technical methods and procedures.
- Experience with TOGAF and Agile development.
- Experience with containerization, scalability/performance using Kubernetes, Docker or similar.
- Expertise in Relational databases like MSSQL or Oracle and hand-on experience with non-relational/NoSQL alternatives like MongoDB or Redis.
- Strong passion for usability and user experience and exposure to Figma.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and planning at a strategic level. Ability to translate strategic plans into specific objectives, and work with Agile PMO to create and execute project plans to achieve objectives.
- Solid understanding of open-source software solutions and cloud-based offerings and services.
- Possess software development mindset and awareness of development challenges and works to streamline software delivery pipelines where she/he has direct influence.
- Ability to plan and manage at both operational and tactical operational levels. Works to achieve goals while overcoming obstacles and/or planning for contingencies.
- Demonstrated ability to use discretion, make sound decisions, and maintain confidentiality.
- Proficient in MS Office, modern communication tools for virtual teams (i.e., MS Teams.)
- Experience with the following is preferred:
- Experience in integrations with Oracle Fusion ERP, ADP HCM/Payroll systems
- Experience in Snowflake data warehouse platform
- Experience with aviation industry software landscape will be added
- Experience with AI/ML will be a plus
- Ideal candidates will have a broad software engineering/product development background and will also have a passion for team leadership and project management, and successfully interacting with C-suite executives.
- Job position is in Portsmouth, NH with work in highly collaborative, hybrid (3-4 days a week in office) environment. For exceptionally qualified person, remote work with quarterly visits for workshops will be considered